Thursday, October 11, 2007

CHEATER...

recently ive started playing chess with one of my friends.... it took me a while to repolish my tactics. the first time i played was 3 months ago, and that was after almost a decade or so...

so there i was, warning my friend how i hadnt played in years and i kicked off the game. eventually came the time i had to move the "horse" thingie.. and there i went all proud of me cause i went in for a kill. my friend immediately loooks at me and YELLS " YOU CHEATER... did you really think u'd get that past me".

there i was honestly offended and completely SHOCKED.. i was outraged, i looked at him pissed off. i sat there justified my move and what not, we got into this huge thing. he went and said "i dont know where u learned to play chess, but thats cheating"...

then i thought to my self.. UH OH. i learned it from the BEST cheater in the world. lol... my grandpa...
i grew up playing chess with him, and well according him as long as the other person doesnt catch u cheating is ok. hahahaha... so he always moved the horse piece a certain way, and thats what i remembered. clearly, i never caught it -- hahaha.

he always cheated in rami, but i knew the rules from my grandma and my sister, so i'd catch him. he'd sneak in a card when i wasnt looking, he'd keep a card under his pillow. lol he even would use his "old age" as an example to get away. hahaha ..... although, it was so much fun to play bluff or char so bees (420) with him. we both made up our own rules as the game advanced to each's advantage.

i remember playing cards with him when i went back after finishing high school - he hid a whole deck under his sheets and blamed it on him being sick that it took forever for him to come up with cards. LOL... i sat there wondering how i lost 10 games in a row.

hehe... i did explain to my friend about how i learned chess and well he taught me the right way. although, im glad i learned it the other way and im glad i all those fun memories with my grandpa. i wouldnt trade it for anything.... may be he's the reason i have an VERY GOOD POKER FACE =)...and he is in my inspiration when i cheat at uno, so what i like to win *insert angelic face here*

its one thing to be a grown up and play with a kid, its another thing to be a grown up and play with a kid, and be on the kids level...

among all the things that october is, october is also the month my grandpa passed away 5 years ago.

6 comments:

Keshi said...

aww Im sorry to hear ur granpa passed away 5yrs ago. He sounds like a terrific man to hang ard with...a fun-loving guy. :)

LOL @cheater! Choco how come u cheated ha? :):)


well I dun cheat at all when playing games...but my cousin brothers do and we get into huge fights cos of that. The last time we played Pictionary, I ended uo crying LOL! Cos I caught em mouthing the words to their team when they should really be drawing em. I got up and left.


And the last time we played cards, I had a mega argument with my cousin sis..and the 4 of us were in the bak of a van on the way to Rotorua in NZ..and we didnt talk to each other the whole trip bak haha!

Keshi.

Aditi said...

hmm i missed that whole side of dada although i do remember playing gadha chor with him and stuff.. he was hilarious hehe... and so much fun.. i think we always played mongoose too..

remember u and dada and that hum honge kamiyab song?

anyway...

@ keshi
its ok i dont cheat iether.. and this last xmas i was playing poker or something with all my cousins and i kept loosing turns out everyone there was cheating but me
=/

Kay Vee said...

awww... so sorry you're grandpa isnt around anymore. i never spent much time with my grandads...and never really liked my grandmoms. both my grandads were cool... but i was way too small to remember anything :(

id love to learn chess. have wanted to since so many months. this diwali ill take it up :D
i wish i cud be in ur shoes... so much fun naa...i can imagine how he must've been!

im sorry i haven't been around. i still have exams going on. but im so brain dead today from all that cramming that i had comment. ive been reading ur bog though and even aditi's. :)

umm..about that chocolate bet wish, i dunno what to ask?! i leave it up to u!
take care,
and have fun!

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Oh dear. It is such a sad story is'nt it? I can't remember much what I did with my grand dad now - not that I chose to forgot but it is overwhelming. I think about 18 years ago he passed away and I was a kid then. However, it is always nice atleast for a newer generation to be connected to the older generation. Priceless I tell you.

And now take that poker face off yours and look at Aditi. She is so nice and not cheating all. And you. North adn south poles you sisters :-) just kidding.

Rani said...

@keshi: haha.. this is just when i was a kid. its all in fun, nothing too serious. i dont quite like cheaters either... not when i seriously play.

@aditi: yes mongoose.. hahaha!! u have ure memories, and i have mine i guess.

lol NO ONE CHEATED... u just SUCK at poker hence u lost. dont twist the story

@trinnie: oo u should take up chess, its a very "thought provoking" game. i like things i have to use my brains for. its ok if u were too small to remember anything, atleast u got to spend sometime right???

@vik: it is priceless indeed. and ure right on point - me and my sister - we're COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Aditi said...

no no the year before.. or rather the last time i was there for xmas4 years ago... we were playing a diff game.. everyone was cheating then by admission